NewsPaper

Latest Epaper

Latest Post

Negligence at Mukono Road Construction as Third Person is Killed

Negligence at Mukono Road Construction as Third Person is Killed: Doreen Nampijja’s death sparks outrage over poor safety measures as toll rises to three fatalities on Mukono roads under construction.

Grief and anger gripped residents of Kitete Village in Mukono Central Division after a woman was fatally crushed by a falling tree along the Nakawolole–Kitete road, where construction works are currently underway.

The victim, Doreen Nampijja, 34, a fish vendor and mother, succumbed to her injuries shortly after admission to Mukono General Hospital on Wednesday evening.

The accident occurred around 6pm as Nampijja rode on a boda boda motorcycle through the construction zone.

Witnesses said the tree had been destabilized by municipal workers clearing the area for road expansion.

The boda boda rider sustained serious injuries, including head trauma and a broken arm, and remains hospitalized.

Patrick Bogere, a resident and eyewitness, said he had tried to warn passersby that the area was unsafe. “They thought it was just normal work and didn’t listen. As they passed, the tree suddenly gave way and fell on them,” he recounted.

At Nampijja’s rented home, her family and neighbors were inconsolable. Relatives at the hospital revealed that doctors amputated her leg in a last-ditch attempt to save her life, but she died shortly afterward.

Her husband, Paul Nahia, lashed out at Mukono Municipality for what he described as “deadly negligence.” “There were no warning signs, no barriers, no communication. This is a busy road for pedestrians and cyclists. My wife’s death was entirely preventable,” he said.

Negligence at Mukono Road

Mukono’s Deputy Mayor, William Makumbi, visited the bereaved family and described the incident as a “heartbreaking failure of coordination and safety enforcement.” He acknowledged the contractor’s lapses but also blamed reckless riding and poor information flow between engineers and local leaders. He promised municipal support to the grieving family.

District Councilor Hajji Lukeman Ssegayi was more direct in his condemnation, calling the situation “gross negligence” on the part of both Mukono Municipality and the local council authorities.

“There must be proper signage and clear safety guidelines at every construction site,” he said, also warning boda boda riders against ignoring safety warnings.

Nampijja’s death marks the third fatality linked to road construction in Mukono in recent months.

Earlier, Nicholas Tumushabe, a machine operator, and Ambrose, a casual laborer, died at another site in Cathedral Rise managed by the Chinese firm CCCC.

When contacted for comment, George Masegere, the Mukono Municipality spokesperson, said he had not yet received an official report on the incident.

Nampijja’s body remains at Mukono General Hospital mortuary as police and municipal officials begin investigations into the latest tragedy to hit Mukono’s roads under construction

Scroll to Top